INNOVATION IN CONTEMPORARY TOURISM – CHALLENGES AND POSSIBILITIES
Innovation is a key factor of competitiveness in nearly all industries. The shifting focus towards innovation of services is caused by the increasing role services play in developed economies. Today, tourism is undergoing a fundamental change which necessitates the ability for innovation. Tourism has a number of characteristics that specifically influence innovation. One such characteristic is the heterogeneous structure of the industry, which connects diverse actors and sectors, including businesses, consumers and the government. The paper aims to analyse innovation in tourism and its main trends using a literature review and examining different approaches and perspectives, with the goal of offering a synthesis of the findings and a point on which to base further research. The findings suggest that the collaborative environment fosters a joint approach to solving different challenges in tourism and recognizing innovation opportunities, and that the efficacy of such an undertaking far outweighs what the individual actors would be able to contribute by acting alone.
2. Aldebert, B., Dang, R. J., Longhi, C. (2011). Innovation in the Tourism Industry: The case of Tourism@. Tourism Management, Vol. 32. No, 5, 1204-1213.
3. Alford, P., Duan, Y. (2018). Understanding collaborative innovation from a dynamic capabilities perspective. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 30, No, 6, 2396-2415.
4. Anderson, T. (2008). The theory and practice of Online learning, AU Press, Edmonton, Canada.
5. Aničić J., Zakić, N., Vukotić, S., Subić, J. (2016). Clustering as an opportunity for internationalization of the SME sector in Serbia. Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, Vol. 18, No, 5, 506-524.
6. Ballew, M., T., Omoto A., M., Winter P., L. (2015). Using Web 2.0 and Social Media Technologies to Foster Proenvironmental Action. Sustainability, Vol. 7, No, 8, 10620-10628.
7. Blind K., Edler, J., Schmoch, U., Anderson, B., Howells, J., Miles, I., Roberts, J., Green, L., Evangelista, R., Hipp, C. and Herstatt, C. (2003). Patents in the Service Industries. FinalReport, FhG-ISI, Karlsruhe, Germany.
8. Brondoni, S. M. (2016). Global tourism management. Mass, experience and sensations tourism. Symphonya: Emerging Issues in Management, Vol. 16, No, 1, 7-24.
9. Carlborg, P., Kindstrom, D., Kowalkowski, C. (2014). The evolution of service innovation research: A critical review and synthesis. Service Industries Journal, Vol. 5, 373-398.
10. Carlsen J., Liburd, J.,J., Edwards, D., Forde, P. (2008). Innovation for sustainable tourism: International case studies, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia.
11. Carvalho, L., Costa, T. (2011). Tourism innovation – a literature review complemented by study research. International Conference on Tourism & Management Studies, Algrave, Portugal.
12. Chen, I. J., Paulraj, A. (2004). Towards a Theory of Supply Chain Management: The Constructs and Measurements. Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 22, No, 2, 119-150.
13. Coombs, R., Miles, I. (2000). Innovation, measurement and services: The new problematique. In J. S. Metcalfe, & I. Miles (Eds.), Innovation systems in the service economy, Springer, Boston, US, 85-103.
14. Coombs, K. A. (2007). Building a library Web site on the pillars of Web 2.0. Computers in Libraries, Vol. 27, No, 1, 11-17.
15. Cvijanović, D., Mihailović, B., Vukotić, S. (2016). Marketing i konsalting u funkciji razvoja turizma Srbije, Institut za ekonomiku polјoprivrede, Beograd.
16. Čivre, Ž, Gomezelj, O., D. (2016). The behaviour of tourism firms in the area of innovativeness. Economic Research, Vol. 28, No, 1, 312-330.
17. Denicolai, S., Cioccarelli, G., Zucchella, A. (2010). Resource-based local development and networked core-competencies for tourism excellence. Tourism Management, Vol. 31, No, 2, 260-266.
18. Divisekera, S., Nguyen, V. K. (2018). Determinants of innovation in tourism evidence from Australia. Tourism Management, Vol. 67, No, 4, 157-167.
19. European Central Bank (2017)., Structure of the euro area economy. Frankfurt, https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/eaec/html/index.en.html, (01 February 2019).
20. European Commission (2017)., A services economy that works for Europeans. European Commission - Press release. Brussels, http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-23_en.htm,(01 February 2019).
21. Fuglsang, L., Eide, D. (2013). The experience turn as ‘bandwagon’: Understanding network formation and innovation as practice". European Urban and Regional Studies,Vol. 20, No, 4, 417-434.
22. Gebhard, K., Meyer, M., Parkyn, M., Rohac, J., Roth, S. (2009). Sustainable tourism. Ecological tourism in Europe (ETE), Bonn.
23. Gomezelj, D., O. (2016). A systematic review of research on innovation in hospitality and tourism. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol, 28, No, 3, 514-558.
24. Grissemann, U. S., Pikkemaat, B., Weger, C. (2013). Antecedents of innovation activities in Tourism: An empirical investigation of the alpine hospitality industry.Tourism, Vol. 61, No, 1, 7-27.
25. Hurni, D., Grosser, S. N. (2017). Innovation management with an emphasis on co-creation. In: Grosser, S. N., Lecuona, A. R., Granholm, G. Dynamics of Long-Life Assets, Springer, Cham, Switzerland.
26. Hoarau, H., Kline, (2014). Science and industry: Sharing knowledge for innovation. Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 46, 44-61.
27. Koziol, L., Karas, A. (2015). The concept of the tourism enterprise innovation analysis. Economic Problems of Tourism, Vol. 32, No, 4, 19-29.
28. Kozma, B. R. (2008). ICT, Educational Reform, and Economic Growth: A Conceptual Framework. Intel, Santa Clara.
29. Leich, D., Gökduman, S., Baaken, T. (2010). Project report: Service innovation: An evaluation of NSD practice, University of Applied Science, Munster, Germany.
30. Lindmark, S. (2009). Web 2.0: Where does Europe stand? European Commission – Joint Research Centre. Sevilla, Spain.
31. Liu, C., H., Tzeng, G., H., Lee, M., H., Lee, P., Y. (2013). Improving metro–airport connection service for tourism development: Using hybrid MCDM models. Tourism Management Perspectives, Vol. 6, 95–107.
32. Lopes R., Abrantees, J. L., Kastenholz, E. (2014). Innovation, tourism and social networks. Revista Turismo e Desenvolvimento, Vol. 21/22, No, 5, 151-154.
33. Nazef, R., F. Al-Rodhan, Stoudmann, G. (2006). Definitions of globalization, Geneve Centre for Security Policy, Geneve.
34. Neuhofer, B., Buhalis, D. (2014). Technology enhanced tourism experience, Digital Tourism Think Tank, Kent; Bournemouth University, Poole.
35. Neuhofer, B. (2016). Innovation through Co-Creation: Towards an Understanding of Technology-Facilitated Co-Creation Processes in Tourism. In: Egger Roman, Gula, E., Walcher D. (eds.). Open Tourism: Open Innovation, Crowdsourcing and Collaborative Consumption Challenging the Tourism Industry, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 17-33.
36. Nikolau, J., L., Santa-Maria, M., J., B. (2015). The effect of innovation on hotel market value. International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 32, No, 1, 71-79.
37. Novelli, M., Schmitz, B., Spencer, T. (2006). Networks, Clusters and Innovation in Tourism: A UK Experience. Tourism Management, Vol. 27. No, 6, 1141-1152.
38. OECD (2006). Innovation and growth in tourism. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris.
39. Paallysaho, S., Kuusisto, J. (2008). Intellectual property as a key driver of service innovation: An analysis of innovative KIBS Business in Finland and the UK. International Journal of Service Technology and Management, Vol. 9, 268-284.
40. Paruchuri, S. (2010). Intra-Organizational Networks, Inter-Organizational Networks, and the Impact of Central Inventors: A Longitudinal Study of Pharmaceuticals Firms. Organizational Science, Vol. 21, No, 1, 63-80.
41. Pechalner,H., Fischer, E., Hammann, E. M. (2009). Leadership and Innovation Processes – Development of Products and Services Basedon Core Competencies. In M. Peters & B. Pikkemaat (Eds.), Innovation in Hospitality and Tourismm, Routledge, New York, US, 31-58.
42. Pedrana, M. (2013). Local economic development policies and tourism: An approach to sustainability and culture. Regional Science Inquiry Journal, Vol. 5, No, 1, 91-99.
43. Prahalad, C. K., Ramaswamy, V.(2004). The Future of Competition: Co-creating unique value with customer, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, US.
44. Rajnović, Lj., Subić, J., Zakić, N. (2016). Organizaciono i finansijsko restrukturiranje privrednih društava u funkciji poboljšanja privrednog ambijenta u Republici Srbiji, Institut za ekonomiku poljoprivrede, Beograd.
45. Sarmah, B., Kamboj, S., & Rahman, Z. (2017). Co-creation in hotel service innovation using smart phone apps: An empirical study. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 29, No, 10, 2647–2667.
46. Sigala, M. (2012). Exploiting Web 2.0 for New Service Development: Findings and Implications from the Greek Tourism Industry. International Journal of Tourism Research, Vol. 14, 551-566.
47. Slivar, I., Božić, S., Batkovic, A. (2016). Innovation in tourism: Perception of tourism providers from Croatia and Serbia. Review of Innovation and Competitiveness, Vol. 2, No, 4, 37-56.
48. Sorensen, F. (2011). Inducing user-driven innovation in tourism: an experimental approach. In J. Sundbo & M. Toivonen (Eds.), User-based Innovation in Services, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, 323-346.
49. Szutowski, D.(2015). Impact of innovation on the market value of tourism enterprises: approaches and metrics. Studia Oeconomica Posnaniensia, Vol. 3, No, 2, 181-200.
50. Stamboulis,Y., Skyannis, P. (2003). Innovation strategies and technology for experience-based tourism. Tourism Management, Vol. 24, No, 1, 35-43.
51. Talimochnik, V., P. (2018). Information and Communication Systems Including Artificial Intelligence and Big Data as Objects of International Legal Protection, Intertech Open, London.
52. Tinsley, R., Lynch, P. A. (2001). Small Tourism Business Networks and Destination Development. Innovation Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 20, No. 4, 367-378.
53. United Nations Economic and Social Council (2017). The Future of Everything – Sustainable Development in the Age of Rapid Technological Change, New York.
54. United States Department of Labor (2017). Employment by major industry sector. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Washington, DC. https://www.bls.gov/emp/tables/employment-by-major-industry-sector.htm, (02 Febraury 2019).
55. Utterback, J. M., Abernathy, W. J. (1975). A dynamic model of process and product innovation. Omega, Vol. 3, No, 6, 639-656.
56. Vukotić, S., Maksimović, G. (2017). Promotional marketing mix: the case study of travel agencies in Belgrade, Thematic Proceedings I, 2nd International Scientific Conference Tourism in Function of development of the Republic of Serbia, 1-3. jun, Vrnjačka Banja, 412-429.
57. Weiermair, K. (2004). Product improvement or innovation: what is the key to success in tourism?, Innovation and growth in tourism, OECD, Paris, 53-69.
58. Weidenfeld, A., Williams,M., Butler, R. (2010). Knowledge transfers and innovations amongst attractions. Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 37, No, 3, 604-626.
59. World Travel and Tourism Council, (2018). Travel & Tourism: Economic Impact 2018 World, London.
60. Yoo, K-H., Gretzel, U. (2010). Web 2.0: New rule for Tourism marketing. Travel and Tourism Research Association: Advancing Tourism Research Globaly. 2010 TTRA International Conference, San Antonio, June 20-22, US.
61. Zach, F. J. (2016). Collaboration for Innovation in Tourism Organisations. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, Vol. 40, No, 3, 271-290.
62. Zach F. J., Hill, T. L. (2017). Network, knowledge and relationship impacts on innovation in tourism destinations. Tourism Management, 62, 196-207.
63. Zakić, N., Stamatović, M., Urošević, S. (2014). Interne barijere inovacijama u preduzećima. Tekstilna industrija, Vol. 62, No, 2, 39-46.
64. Zakić, N., Vukotić, S. (2013). Innovations, organizational changes and human capital in food industry, International Scientific Conference "Održiva polјoprivreda i ruralni razvoj u funkciji ostvarivanja strateških cilјeva Republika Srbije u okviru Dunavskog regiona", 05-07. decembar, Topola, Thematic Proceedings, pp. 468-485.
65. Zsnaroszcky, M. (2018). The future challenge of accessible tourism in the European Union. Vadyba, Journal of Management, Vol. 2, No, 33, 39-43.