TRIPADVISOR IN ORGANISING A VACATION: TOURISTS’ CHARACTERISTICS AND TYPES OF INFORMATION
For decades printed information sources have been used in information gathering process in tourism and personal contact with tourism providers in the process of organizing a vacation was needed. This trend began to change with the introduction of computers, in particular with the development of Internet and social networking web sites. Internet can be used for many different purposes that include promotion of tourism destination, creation of tourism destination image, but it is also an excellent tool in organising a vacation. The main purpose of this paper is to examine the characteristics of tourists who visited Istria County, Croatia in 2016 from the aspect of using TripAdvisor as a tool in organising their vacation. Data was collected through self-complete questionnaire on a sample of tourists staying in hotels and camping sites in nine tourism towns. This study was conducted from July through September in 2016. A total of 1554 responders were taken into analysis. Based on the descriptive results a little bit less than 30% of responders used TripAdvisor for organising their vacation. First time visitors relayed more on TripAdvisor compared to repeat visitors and country of origin also played important part in using TripAdvisor for organising vacation. Information about beaches, cultural heritage and restaurants in Istria County, Croatia were the most commonly searched types of information about the destination.
2. Chapman, C. (2012). The history and evolution of Social Media, http://webdesignerdepot.com/2009/10 the-history-and-evolution-of social-media, (12.2.2012).
3. Andersson, T., D. (2007). The Tourist in the Experience Economy. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, Vol. 7, No. 1, 46-58.
4. Croatian Ministry of Tourism (2017).
5. Croatian national tourist board (2016).
6. Danah M., B. (2007). Social Networking Sites: definition, history and scholarship, http://jcmc.indiana.edu7VOLL, (11.02.2012.).
7. Hollensen, S. (2011). Marketing management a relationship approach, Harlow: Prentice Hall.
8. Jeacle, I., Carter, C. (2011). In TripAdvisor we trust: Rankings, calculative regimes and abstract systems. Accounting, Organizations and Society, Vol. 36, 293–309.
9. Kotler, P., Armstrong, G. (2010). Principles of Marketing, New Jersey: Pearson/Prentice Hall.
10. Kotler, P., Caslione, J. (2009). Upravljanje in trzenje v obdobju pretresov, Ljubljana: Zalozba
11. Limberger, P., F., dos Anjos, F., A., Vieira de Souza Meira, J., Gadotti dos Anjos, S., J. (2014). Satisfaction in hospitality on TripAdvisor.com: An analysis of the correlation between evaluation criteria and overall satisfaction. Tourism & Management Studies, Vol. 10, No. 1, 59-65.
12. Ozretić Došen, Đ. Previšić, J., Škare, V. (2003). Komunikacija imagea zemlje putem web stranica. Zbornik Ekonomskog fakulteta u Zagrebu, Vol. 1, No. 1, 149-162.
13. The Statistics Portal (2016). Global social networks ranked by number of users 2015, http://www.statista.com/statistics/272014/global-social-networks-ranked-by-number-of-users/
14. The Statistics Portal (2016). Number of global social network users 2010-2018, http://www.statista.com/statistics/278414/number-of-worldwide-social-network-users/
15. Tourist board of Istria (2016)
16. TripAdvisor (2015). Fact Sheet, http://www.tripadvisor.com/Press
17. Tuominen, P. (2011). The Influence of TripAdvisor Consumer-Generated Travel Reviews on Hotel Performance, University of Hertfordshire Business School Working Paper, https://uhra.herts.ac.uk/
18. Veal, A., J. (2006). Research Methods for Leisure and Tourism: A Practical Guide, Essex: Pearson Education Limited.