IMPACT OF TOURISM ON EMPLOYMENT IN SERBIA AND ITS MAIN COMPETITORS
Over the last twenty years, tourism has played a very important role in the economic development of many countries. Moreover, travel and tourism industry is one of the leading job creators in the world which employs 118 million people directly, or 3.8% of total employment. When indirect and induced employment are included, travel and tourism industry employs more than 313 million people, or 9.9% of total employment. The aim of this paper is to present the contribution of tourism to the overall employment in Serbia and its main competitors in the tourism market, namely Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Montenegro, Romania and Slovenia. Albania is excluded from the analysis due to the lack of data. The research results show increase in the number of employees in tourism in all observed countries and increase in the share of tourism in total employment in all countries except Hungary whose share was the same in the last as in the first observed year.
2. Dimitrovski, D., Milutinović, S. (2014). Mesto i uloga turizma u privredi Srbije. Mendžment u hotelijerstvu i turizmu, Vol. 2, No. 1, 57-64.
3. Dritsakis, N. (2004). Tourism as a long-run economic growth factor: an empirical investigation for Greece using causality analysis. Tourism Economics, Vol. 10, No. 3, 305-316.
4. European foundation for the improvement of living and working conditions (2004). EU hotel and restaurant sector: work and employment conditions, https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/sites/default/files/ef_files/
pubdocs/2003/98/en/1/ef0398en.pdf, (05 February 2019).
5. Eurostat, https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/data/database, (08 February 2019).
6. Krstić, B., Jovanović, S., Janković-Milić, V., Stanišić, T. (2016a). Examination of travel and tourism competitiveness contribution to national economy competitiveness of sub-Saharan Africa countries. Development Southern Africa, Vol. 33, No. 4, 470-485.
7. Krstić, B., Radivojević, V., Stanišić, T. (2016b). Determinants of CEE countries' tourism competitiveness: A benchmarking study. Management: Journal for Theory and Practice Management, Vol. 21, No. 80, 11-22.
8. Krstić, B., Stanišić, T. (2015). Tourism as a factor of competetitivenes and development of the EU countries and Serbia. The determinants of competitiveness, Thematic Proceedings, Faculty of Economics, University of Niš, Andrzej Frycz Modrzewski Krakow University, 1-16.
9. Marčetić, M., Mušikić, S. (2017). The impact of tourism on the employment in Serbia. 2nd International Scientific Conference Tourism in a function of development of the Republic of Serbia: Тourism product as a factor of competitiveness of the Serbian economy and experiences of other countries, Vrnjačka Banja, Serbia, 96-110.
10. Milovanović, V., Milićević, S. (2014). Upravljanje turističkim proizvodima Srbije u funkciji unapređenja konkurentnosti na međunarodnom turističkom tržištu. Menadžment u hotelijerstvu i turizmu, Vol. 2, No. 1, 38-48.
11. Milutinović, S.,Vasović, N. (2017). Competitive position of Serbia as a tourism destination on the international tourism market. 2nd International Scientific Conference Tourism in a function of development of the Republic of Serbia: Тourism product as a factor of competitiveness of the Serbian economy and experiences of other countries, Vrnjačka Banja, Serbia, 647-661.
12. Ministarstvo trgovine, turizma i telekomunikacija (2016). Strategija razvoja turizma Republike Srbije za period 2016-2025, http://mtt.gov.rs/download/3/strategija.pdf, (08 February 2019).
13. Obadić, A., Marić, I. (2009). The significance of tourism as an employment generator of female labour force. Ekonomska misao i praksa, Vol. 18, No. 1, 93-114.
14. Stanišić, T., Milutinović, S. (2016). Impact of tourism on basic macroeconomic indicators in the European Union and Serbia. 1st International Scientific Conference Tourism in a function of development of the Republic of Serbia: Spa tourism in Serbia and experiences in other countries, Vrnjačкa Banja, Serbia, 67-82.
15. UNWTO (2011). Global report on women in tourism 2010, http://www2.unwto.org/sites/all/files/pdf/folleto_globarl_report.pdf, (05 February 2019).
16. World Economic Forum (2017). The Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report, https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-travel-tourism-competitiveness-report-2017, (05 February 2019).
17. WTTC (2011). Travel & Tourism Economic Impact 2010, https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/benchmark%20reports/the_
comparative_economic_impact_of_travel__tourism.pdf, (31 January 2019).
18. WTTC (2018). Travel & Tourism Economic Impact 2017, https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic-impact-research/
regions-2018/world2018.pdf (31 January 2019).