PROMOTION OF RURAL AREAS OF BRANIČEVO-DANUBE REGION THROUGH BRANDING OF AGRI-FOOD PRODUCTS
This paper explores the possibilities of promoting rural areas of the Braničevo Danube region, primarily through the branding of agri-food products. Accordingly, the aim of the paper is to perform a market analysis to select the products with the highest potential to represent the BP region. The purpose of this product selection is to connect them with territory and people in order to enhance the tourism potential of the Branicevo-Danube (BD) region. The methodology is based on the market research conducted in the period December 2018-January 2019, when 67 agricultural producers surveyed in the area of the BP region were engaged in the production and processing of agri-food products. Also, we used indicators of the BD region for the analysis of the situation and the selection of perspective agri-food products with added value. The results of the research showed that the three most promising sectors in the BP region in the field of agri-food production are: 1. Vegetable and fruit processing, 2. Beekeeping and 3. Milk processing.
2. Chernatony, L., McWilliam, G. (1990). Appreciating Brands as Assets through Using a Two-Dimensional Model. International Journal of Advertising, Vol. 9, No. 2, 111-119.
3. Crawford, I.M. (1997). Agricultural and Food Marketing Management (2), FAO, Rome.
4. Cvijanović, D., Mihailović, B. (2016). Developmental aspects of the Rural Tourism in Serbia. TISC - Tourism International Scientific Conference, Vrnjačka Banja, 1(2), 01-16.
5. Donner, M. (2016). Understanding place brands as collective and territorial development processes, Joint PhD thesis, Montpellier SupAgro, France, and Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
6. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). (2017). The future of food and agriculture – Trends and challenges, Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome.
7. Gardner, B., Levy, S. (1955). The Product and the Brand. Harward Business Review, Vol. 33 (Mar./Apr.), 33-39.
8. Kotler, P. (2001). Marketing Management, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey.
9. Mihailović, B., Cvijanović, D., Hamović, V. (2009). Analiza investicione i izvozne aktivnosti poljoprivrede Srbije. Ekonomika poljoprivrede, Vol. 56, No. 1, 73-85.
10. Mihailović, B., Cvijanović, D., Milojević, I., Filipović, M. (2014). The role of irrigation in development of agriculture in Srem district. Ekonomika poljoprivrede, Vol. 61, No.4, 989-1004.
11. Mihailović, B., Popović, V. (2017). The role of segmentation and positioning in the development of modern tourist market in Serbia. In V. Bevanda & S. Štetić (Eds.), Modern management tools and economy of tourism sector in present era (pp. 550-565), Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans and Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality, Ohrid, Macedonia.
12. Mihailović, B., Popović, V. (2018). Management of service marketing: a perspective of modern tourism sector. In V. Bevanda & S. Štetić (Eds.), Modern management tools and economy of tourism sector in present era (pp. 143-158), Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans and Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality, Ohrid, Macedonia.
13. Mihailović, B., Radić Jean, I. (2019). Resources and potential of agri-food products with added value in Branicevo-Danube region. Economics of Agriculture, Vol. 66, No. 3, 669-680.
14. Milanović, M.R. (2002). Food industry of the FR of Yugoslavia, Association of Agrarian Economists Yugoslavia, Institute of Agricultural Economics, Belgrade.
15. Munson, J.M., Spivey, W.A. (1981). Products and Brand Users: stereotypes among social classes. In K. Munroe (Ed.), Advances in Consumer Research, Association for Consumer Research, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
16. Paraušić, V., Cvijanović, D., Subić, J. (2007). Afirmacija udruživanja i marketinga u funkciji kreiranja konkurentnosti agrarnog sektora Srbije, monografija, Institut za ekonomiku poljoprivrede, Beograd.
17. Popović, V., Mihailović, B., Simonović, Z. (2018). Modern Food Retail and Unfair Trading Practices. Economics of Agriculture, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1499-1512.
18. Regional Development Agency Braničevo-Danube (RDA-BD), (2011), Sectoral marketing analyzes, within the project - Garden of Serbia.
19. Regional Development Agency Braničevo-Danube (RDA-BD), (2018), Research and analysis of agro-food products with added value and market potential in the Braničevo-Danube region, within the project – The Taste of Region – Promoting agri-food products with added value to improve economic capacities of family households, Požarevac.
20. Simonović, Z., Mihailović, B., Popović, V. (2019). Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development of the Republic of Serbia. In I. Janev (Ed.), European Political, Economic, and Security Issues, Serbia: Current Issues and Challenges in the Areas of Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment (pp. 89-104), Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York.
21. Solomon, M. (1983). The Role of Product in Social Stimuli: a symbolic interactionism perspective. Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 10, No. 3, 319-329.
22. Štetić, S. (2004). Nacionalna turistička geografija, LI, Beograd.
23. Vandecandelaere, E., Arfini, F., Belletti, G., Marescotti, A. (2009). Linking people, places and products: A guide for promoting quality linked to geographical origin and sustainable geographical indications, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and Strengthening International Research on Geographical Indications (SINER-GI).
24. Vujović, S., Cvijanović, D., Štetić, S. (2012). Destinacijski koncept razvoja turizma, monografija, Institut za ekonomiku poljoprivrede, Beograd.