INDICATORS OF TOURISM DEVELOPMENT IN RURAL AREAS OF THE REPUBLIC OF SERBIA
The important role that contemporary tourism plays in the development of receptive areas determines it as the generator of economic growth, employment and numerous positive socio-cultural changes. This role of tourism is especially important in rural areas, which usually face depopulation, low job opportunities, low diversification of economic activities and other economic and social problems. The Republic of Serbia, with predominantly rural structure of settlements, population and territory, has excellent basis for the development of rural tourism. The aim of the paper is to evaluate the achieved level of this development, by monitoring the available indicators of tourist traffic and quantitative data on available accommodation capacities in rural areas of the Republic of Serbia. The research results indicate a tendency of increase in tourist' arrivals, overnight stays and available accommodation capacities in rural areas of the Republic of Serbia, while the average length of stay of tourists remains almost unchanged during the observed period.
2. Cvijanović, D., Radović, G., Vojinović, Z. (2017). Significance of the sustainable development of rural tourism in the Republic of Serbia. Zagadnienia Ekonomiki Rolnej, Vol. 2, No. 351, 94-107.
3. Dimitrovski, D. D., Todorović, A. T., Valjarević, A. D. (2012). Rural tourism and regional development: Case study of development of rural tourism in the region of Gruţa, Serbia. Procedia environmental sciences, No. 14, 288-297.
4. Fleischer, A., Felsenstein, D. (2000). Support for rural tourism: Does it make a difference?. Annals of tourism research, Vol. 27, No. 4, 1007-1024.
5. Fleischer, A., Tchetchik, A. (2005). Does rural tourism benefit from agriculture?. Tourism management, Vol. 26, No. 4, 493-501.
6. Fons, M. V. S., Fierro, J. A. M., Patiño, M. G. (2011). Rural tourism: A sustainable alternative. Applied Energy, Vol. 88, No. 2, 551-557.
7. Government of the Republic of Serbia, (2014), Strategija poljoprivrede i ruralnog razvoja Republike Srbije za period 2014-2024. godine [Strategy of Agriculture and Rural Development of the Republic of Serbia for the period 2014-2024.], "Sl. glasnik RS", br. 85/2014.
8. Gunn, C. A. (1988). Tourism Planning, Taylor and Francis, New York.
9. Krstić, B., Jovanović, S., Janković-Milić, V., Stanišić, T. (2016). Examination of travel and tourism competitiveness contribution to national economy competitiveness of sub-Saharan Africa countries. Development Southern Africa, Vol. 33, No. 4, 470-485.
10. Kulva, V. R., Rani, T. U. (2017). Rural Tourism Development in India, Potential & Prospects. In Aluvala, R. (Ed.) Human Resource Management: New Horizons, Zenon Academic Publishing, India, 37-42.
11. Lane, B. (1994). What is rural tourism?. Journal of sustainable tourism, Vol. 2, No. 7, 7-21.
12. Master Plan for Sustainable Development of Rural Tourism in Serbia, (2011), https://futurehospitalityleaders.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/
master-plan-odrzivog-razvoja-ruralnog-turizma-u-srbiji.pdf (05 January 2020)
13. Medojević, J., Milosavljević, S., Punisić, M. (2011). Paradigms of rural tourism in Serbia in the function of village revitalisation. Human Geographies, Vol. 5, No. 2, 93-102.
14. Milutinović, S., Vasović, N. (2017). Competitive position of Serbia as a tourism destination on the international tourism market. TISC - Tourism International Scientific Conference, Vrnjačka Banja, 2(2), 647-661.
15. Perales, R. M. Y. (2002). Rural tourism in Spain. Annals of tourism Research, Vol. 29, No. 4, 1101-1110.
16. Ribeiro, M., Marques, C. (2002). Rural tourism and the development of less favored areas—between rhetoric and practice. International journal of tourism research, Vol. 4, No. 3, 211-220.
17. Ristić, L. (2013). Strategijsko upravljanje održivim ruralnim razvojem u Republici Srbiji. Ekonomski horizonti, Vol. 15, No. 3, 229-243.
18. Ristić, L., Vujičić, M., Leković, M. (2016). Tourism as a factor of sustainable development of rural areas belonging to Rudnička Morava. Economics of Agriculture, Vol. 63, No. 2, 665-680.
19. Sharpley, R., Jepson, D. (2011). Rural tourism: A spiritual experience?. Annals of tourism research, Vol. 38, No. 1, 52-71.
20. Šimková, E. (2007). Strategic approaches to rural tourism and sustainable development of rural areas. Agricultural Economics, Vol. 53, No. 6, 263-270.
21. Stanišić, T. (2019). Savremene tendencije u hotelijerstvu i turizmu, Fakultet za hotelijerstvo i turizam u Vrnjačkoj Banji, Univerzitet u Kragujevcu, Vrnjačka Banja.
22. Stanišić, T., Milutinović, S. (2016). Impact of Tourism on Basic Macroeconomic Indicators in the European Union and Serbia. TISC - Tourism International Scientific Conference, Vrnjačka Banja, 1(2), 67-82.
23. Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia, (2010-2018), Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Serbia, Belgrade, https://www.stat.gov.rs/
publikacije/, (30 January 2020).
24. Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia, (2010-2019), Municipalities and Regions of the Republic of Serbia, Belgrade, https://www.stat.gov.rs/publikacije/, (25 January 2020).
25. Vujović, S., Cvijanović, D., Štetić, S. (2012). Destinacijski koncept razvoja turizma, Institut za ekonomiku poljorivrede, Beograd.
26. Wilson, S., Fesenmaier, D. R., Fesenmaier, J., Van Es, J. C. (2001). Factors for success in rural tourism development. Journal of Travel research, Vol. 40, No. 2, 132-138.